What is a Favicon and what does it do?

The word favicon is shortened from the phrase favourite icon. A favicon is a logo or icon displayed in the address bar when your web pages are viewed. It is also displayed in the bookmark or favourites list, and in tabbed browsing. Not all browsers support them, so where they are not supported, they will not be displayed.

Below, if you look closely, you will see my favicon for my website as it is displayed in the address bar and tabbed browsing of firefox.

Mydepictions Favicon in Firefox address bar
Mydepictions Favicon in Firefox tabbed browsing

I used an image of my artwork for the favicon which I created for free at FavIcon from Pics. You can also create an animated favicon, as well as preview how your favicon might look. Instuctions for adding the favicon to your web site are included.

No comments: