British Bulldog Flies the Flag?

No, this isn't an apathetic response to Prime Minister Gordon Brown's request to fly the flag. Nor is it a laid-back response to the Sun newspaper's current Proud to Fly the Flag campaign! By sheer coincidence in timing, the Animal Loving Artists eBay.com group's July theme is "Dogs and Their Country's Flag". I'm not generally very inspired by flags, but I was up for the challenge. Maybe there was some influence in the fly the flag news story....I decided upon the obvious subject choice for a Brit.

I felt more inclined to portray a British Bulldog lounging on a flag, rather than the cliched portrayal of one standing proud on the Union Jack. I'm not quite sure if this was a subconscious decision. Perhaps it was a very British decision, for in the UK there are strong patriotic connotations associated with that image and, sadly, many people in the UK feel there is some kind of stigma attached to displaying the Union Jack. Here, our flag and patriotic images seem to have become associated with extremest political groups.

6 comments:

John Dyhouse said...

Hi Naj, wonderful painting both the bulldog and the drapery of the flag are so well done

Naj said...

Thanks John! I had a "bad painting day" when I did this one, it was more like painful to paint than a pleasure to paint! So nice to hear someone appreciates it.

jafabrit said...

I like the context, and how you did it. TO me it represents bullish in charge kind of attitude. I rule, this is MY flag, and you ain't moving me.

just pondering. Hope all is well with you at your end.

Naj said...

Hi Jafa! Yes hadn't quite thought about it that way..guess there's quite a few connotations given meanings associated with the Union Jack and the British Bulldog. I can see "I'm going to remain Bristish no matter what!" I would never have normally tackled such a subject if it weren't for the challenge, but thats what I like about these challenges and ACEOs, they get you doing stuff you wouldn't normally!

MARGARET FIELD said...

Love this painting. Love what it stands for as well. We must be the only country in the world who is too frightened to fly our own flag.

Naj said...

Well said Margeret!